cupcake drawn with colored pencils

Illustration by Lily

By Lily P., Grade 3

I love baking! It’s one of my #1 priorities! My mouth waters when I hear the word “cupcake.” That is exactly what you’ll do when you try these chocolate cupcakes with caramel frosting!

Make them with me! This recipe will make up to 15 cupcakes.

I love moist cupcakes and these cupcakes will be soft and moist. So if you love soft cupcakes, try these.

Cake:

• 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup unsweetend cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons grape jelly
  • 1 cup mayonnaise

Frosting:

• 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup half- and -half cream
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 15 muffin cups or line with paper baking cups.in a large bowl, stir together the white sugar, flour, cocoa, and baking soda.
  2. Make a well in the center, and pour in the water, grape jelly, mayonnaise, and vanilla into prepared cups, dividing evenly.in a large bowl, stir together the white sugar, flour, cocoa, and baking soda.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minuets until the tops spring back when lightly pressed. Cool in the pan set over a wire rack. When cool, arrange the cupcakes on a serving platter.
  4. Make the frosting while the cupcakes cool. Combine the butter, half-and-half and brown sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and stir in the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Set the pan over a bowl of ice water and whisk  or beat with an electric mixer until fluffy. Frost cupcakes when they are completely cool. I hope you like them!

This recipe is from allrecipes.com